First, why are you detoxing? Weight loss, to balance out from previous medications or antibiotics, to begin a healthy lifestyle? Whatever the reason, you need to know a few things before you start:
1) Cleansing can be scary. You may use the bathroom a lot, and it may or may not be pretty. Wait. It will ALWAYS not be pretty, but it will sometimes scare you at what comes out. No need to fret at loose stools or frequent BR breaks, it’s all part of the process. However, if you feel terrified and things aren’t at all normal and you see blood or are dehydrated you need to see your doctor. I am not trying to scare you, but venturing into new healthy ways means doing some spring cleaning of your colon and skin. The side effects can be less than desirable at first. I always recommend doing a gentle detox, to cleanse the system slowly a little everyday so that the side effects are not as harsh or scary. It may take longer, but it is certainly worth it.
2) The skin needs to be detoxed as well!
3) If you lose weight and do not start changing your eating habits for the better once your detox is over, well, you will gain it right back!
4) If you are diabetic or in very poor or fragile health you need to check with a doctor or naturopath before starting all this
5) Be sure you are financially and mentally as well as emotionally prepared to do this, and that the people around you are supportive or at least won’t try lead you astray.
NOW that we have all of that out of the way, let’s get on it!
First thing when you wake up, drink a glass of water. Filtered water. Good water. FIRST THING! Then as you get moving, grab some warm water (filtered) with lemon, add honey if you must (make sure it’s raw).
Bentonite clay is great for absorbing toxins, you can usually get this at the health food store, the reason I enjoy this is because it’s also amazing as a mud mask on the skin or in the bath to draw out more toxins. It’s great for acne and large pores and oily skin. Be sure to get the right kind as ask for assistance at the store before eating clay! You want the food grade kind!
Dandelion tea is great to sip on throughout the day, it is extremely detoxing and cleansing for skin and body.
My favorite gentle detox routine is to use bentonite clay all over from head to toe mixed with water, let it dry and soak up all of the toxins. Run a really warm, almost hot bath with Epsom salts, and sip detoxing tea while in the tub. I also burn candles and have very soothing music playing.
This may be too much for you right now, maybe just the tea with a warm bath is right for you right now. Also bear in mind you will sweat, so keep water on hand so that you don’t get dizzy.
Eating clean, unprocessed foods and limiting sugars will also help speed the process of detox along much faster. If you keep dumping toxins into the body you won’t fully detox, so plan on changing things up when you begin your detox/cleanse.
Best of luck to you, and remember to listen to your body and be gentle with yourself!
*detoxing can take up to a week to 10 days depending on how clean your diet and environment are